When it comes to hair, I personally feel there can be three categories in which we can be divided into. Some of us are born with beautiful and healthy hair and continue having the same throughout our lives; this is the first category. The second category consists of women who are not blessed with naturally beautiful hair but they can surely work towards attaining the same. Finally, bunch of unlucky women constitute the third category. Wondering why I say so? What else should I say for women who are born with beautiful hair but tend to lose their lovely locks due to pollution, health conditions, side effects of medicines or some other unfortunate factor! I fall in the third category and I have tried a lot to save those precious strands. My experiences have taught me many things and it has been a tough learning process. In this article, I would like to tell you about ten vital things which you may do for attaining healthy hair.
10 Steps to Healthy Hair:
1. Keep it clean: Healthy hair can be achieved only through clean hair and scalp. Use a shampoo that suits your hair type, does a decent cleansing job and allows no buildup. If you are an outdoor sort of a person, you should use a mild shampoo almost everyday or every alternate day. The best shampoo is one which contains no SLS, SLES, silicones and unwanted chemicals to ensure that you do not damage the health of your hair while removing impurities. You may go for Parita’s recipe for homemade shampoo. Follow up with a good quality conditioner. You may also use homemade conditioners and hair rinses.
2. Keep it nourished: Oils nourish your hair in the most convenient way possible. Use coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil and castor oil, either individually or after mixing a few of them together. Use nourishing hair packs to maintain the health of your hair. Use eggs, bananas, curd, honey, amla powder, shikakai powder etc for preparing a suitable hair mask. I prefer using henna as it provides nourishment to hair, imparts a subtle color to hair, and at the same time, covers grey hair to a good extent. Often I mix henna powder with lemon juice, curd and eggs.
3. Treat hair problems from the roots: Hair problems are related to some root causes. If it is dandruff, treat the problem. If it is about iron deficiency, consult doctor for supplements. For me it was oily scalp and sticky dandruff resulting from oiliness.
4. Healthy hair is also about healthy scalp: Oils like olive oil, coconut oil and almond oil are great for your hair. Massage hair oil on scalp to promote blood circulation, prevent hair loss, offer nourishment to hair roots and relive dryness. However, if you have oily hair and scalp, do not use oil as you would harm your hair health in that case. Go for other alternatives. For instance, sulphur promotes hair health. Use onion juice for the purpose. Amla juice contains every possible nutrient that your hair and scalp needs and at the same time, it keeps scalp free from oil. Use amla juice or onion juice directly on scalp. Lemon juice is also great for scalp. Since I have oily scalp, I prefer using onion juice as it helps to relieve itchy scalp and control hair loss to some extent. I also use amla juice on scalp when the small onions are not available.
5. Use the right kind of hair care product: Advertisements often tend to misguide you. Do not believe blindly what they claim. Make sure that you invest in a product that suits you, and not the brand ambassador in the advertisement. For instance, if you have dry hair, use shampoo and conditioner meant for dry hair because that will help to relieve dryness and give your hair a smoother appearance. Say for me, Dove range of products never tend to suit me no matter how well it suits so many Indian women, including my mother.
6. Have proper diet for healthy hair: Eat healthy to get healthy locks. Include proteins, vitamins, iron and minerals in the right way. I, for instance, make it a point to include the fresh juice of two amla, 4 or 5 almonds, 3 or 4 cashews, 2 or 3 dates, two spoons of honey, a fruit, an egg and at least a piece of fish (fish oil is very good for hair) in my daily diet. Drinking lots of water is also important.
7. Keep hair away from damaging factors: Heating, curling, straightening, perming, coloring and bleaching are a strict no-no! I never do any of these on my hair and I vehemently oppose anybody who wants to embrace these damaging factors willingly. Pollution, UV rays, and hair styling gels too are never welcome.
8. Add supplements: Although, it is always great if you can get your dose of nutrients through food, it may be a necessity for you to add some vitamin, iron or cod-liver supplements. Always go for doctor’s advice before going for any of these supplements.
9. Treating your hair right: Treat your hair the way it deserves. Be gentle and follow some simple tips. I feel one should avoid things like combing wet hair when hair roots are weak, leaving hair open while going to bed as that makes hair more prone to tangles and split-ends, over combing of hair and skipping shampooing hair for a long time.
10. Be regular in hair care: Hair care is not something you should be doing once in a blue moon. Be regular in your approach. Hair cleansing should be done 3 times a week, use hair oils or amla juice/onion juice etc 2 or 3 times a week before hair cleansing and use hair packs once in a week or two weeks.
Healthy hair is something you acquire. Whether you wear your hair long or short, have it thick or thin, shiny or not so shiny, it is important that your hair is healthy, sans dandruff, sans hair loss problems and sans hair breakage problem. Healthy hair is beautiful hair.
Hairstyle: Hairstyles for Long Hair
Skin and Hair Care Tips for Monsoons
Hair Color: More on Hair Coloring
Sunsilk Hair Fall Solution Shampoo and Conditioner
9 Hair Care Tips for Long Hair for Indian Women
Rose Water for Hair Care
8 Quick Hair Care Tips
Hibiscus for Hair Care
Hair Care 4: Tips for Dry Hair
Hair Care: The Body Shop New Eco-Conscious Rainforest Hair Care
My Skin Care and Hair Care Routine
Hair Care Tips for Strong Healthy Hair
Hair Care : Do It Yourself Hair Protein Pack
Hair Care 3: Tips for Healthy Hair
5 Awesome DIY Hair Care Tips
Hair Care 2: Shampoo and Conditioner
Winter Skin and Hair Care Tips
Hair Care Tips for Color-Treated Hair
Split Hair Ends: Home Remedies and Treatment
6 Steps to a Happy Head