By Gurmeet Kaur
Today, I am going to share my views on how you can keep your relationship healthy with two makeup tools – The Beauty Blender and Makeup Sponges. More than often, we think that only beauty products have an expiry date. But, Makeup Tools such as Beauty Blenders, Brush Sets, Clippers etc have a serving period too. No matter which product you use for applying makeup, all of them have an expiry date. They should be replaced after a particular time period. For Beauty Blenders, the experts have suggested that they should be replaced after every three months. But, if we keep them clean and germ-free, we can expect a safer usage for a longer time(but not forever). So, I have listed down 10 ways on how you can clean your Beauty Blender and your Makeup Sponges without damaging them.
1. Consistent Washing:
As the Beauty Blenders are in the form of sponges, it is easy for them to absorb all the surrounding particles, which means, not only makeup gets absorbed, even dust find its way to get into the Beauty Blender. Washing them religiously with water before using them for applying makeup is as important as washing them after it. Be careful that in the euphoria of looking good, you don’t forget to wash your blender after you are done with your makeup. You can use portable water/drinking water for washing them. It is recommended not to use tap water as it contains dissolved salts in it. This has to be your Everyday activity.
2. A Quick Dip in Warm Water:
If you wash your makeup sponges everyday with regular water, don’t consider that it is enough to do the same on a regular basis. It helps in removing the uppermost layer of makeup from the sponge but, a lot of particles still stay stuck in the inner layers. Using warm water is the effective way to deep clean the beauty blenders. Follow these steps:
• Collect all your spongy applicators.
• Use different dish/bowl for washing each sponge. Don’t try soaking all your sponges in one!
• First, keep them dipped in warm water for a minute and then wring it. Repeat this at least thrice.
• Then, keep them under the running warm water. The pressure of running stream of warm water helps in cleaning the inner layers of the sponge.
• Rinse them properly.
The shampoo is one of the most reliable product for cleansing Beauty Blenders and Makeup Sponges. Mix a little quantity of shampoo with water and soak your makeup sponges in it. Rinse them thoroughly with water. The most convenient part of using a shampoo for cleaning your Beauty Blender/Makeup Sponge is:
• The shampoo is very easily available everywhere.
• Any kind of shampoo can be used, so there is no need to panic about which one to use. Use any shampoo that is handy to you at the moment.
• If you use a shampoo, you will not miss out the routine of cleaning your makeup sponge while you are travelling too.
Sometimes, a makeup product becomes too sticky to take off from the makeup sponges. As the beauty blenders are quite delicate, it becomes tricky to pluck these leftovers from the makeup sponge. Use an old makeup brush to remove these sticky particles. You can also use a toothbrush with extra soft bristles (Baby toothbrush). The bristles of the brush and the surface of the sponge should be carefully brought in touch so that you don’t end up spoiling your makeup sponge. If you are using a brush for cleaning, follow these steps:
• For mild residue: Gently rub the brush over the makeup sponge.
• For sticky residue: Try brushing the surface of then sponge from left to right and then, do the vice versa.
• For extra-sticky residue: If something gets stuck stubbornly on your beauty blender, try brushing in a circular motion, first in a clockwise direction, then in an anti-clockwise direction.
5. Olive Oil and Soap:
Make a mixture by using 1 part of an olive oil and 2 parts of liquid soap in a round dish. Use a glass bowl with a broad rim, making it easy for you to dip and wring the makeup sponges and beauty blenders with your hands. Gently soak the makeup sponge and keep pressing it softly all over the surface to make it absorb the mixture of olive oil and soap. Then, rinse them well under running lukewarm water to remove all the accumulated dirt and the mixture used for cleaning. Cleaning the makeup sponges and beauty blenders with this mixture of olive oil and gentle soap once in every two weeks will help you keep your sponge look fresh and new.
6. Blender Cleanser:
If you want to keep it simple and perfect, there are various options available for Blender Cleansers. These cleansers are specially made for cleaning makeup sponges and beauty blenders. Using them is the simplest method to keep the makeup sponges of your vanity germ-free and totally hygienic.
All you have to do is:
• Take a little quantity of blender cleanser in your palm.
• Dab it all over the surface of the makeup sponge or beauty blender.
• Gently rub it with your fingers against the center of your palm along with a little amount of water.
• Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water.
• Let it dry completely.
Even with continuous washing, bacteria or germ growth find its way in reaching our sponges. The reason can be anything beyond our control like humid or damp environmental conditions. This makes us obligated to search for a method that sterilises our spongy applicators free from any kind of infection. At least, once in a month, sterilise the makeup sponges with heat. It helps you keep them free from infection causing bacteria. Also, please note that sterilisation has to be accompanied by rest of the cleaning procedure.
8. Baby Wash:
Baby washes are known for their delicate treatment to the subject they are applied upon. Use this fact to your advantage and utilise this product to keep your makeup sponges and beauty blenders clean. Not just these, any makeup applicator with a sponge base can be kept clean by using a baby wash. Use it just like you use any other blender cleanser.
9. Regular Soap Bar:
If you are in a real hurry to opt for any of the above-mentioned cleaning methods, here is the easiest one! Take your makeup sponge and gently rub it against a mild bathing soap bar. Hold it in your palm. Rub the sponge with your fingers pointing towards the outer direction from the inner corner. The lather produced by the bar soap and water will help in cleaning your sponges in a jiffy! Don’t prefer this option for a regular cleaning regime as it harms the sponge and will make it loose its texture after few washes.
10. A Day Old Sponge:
If you have a habit of keeping your makeup sponges in your drawer without a cover, it is high time you start adopting a new habit. Storing it separately in its cover (or a prettier one if you can find) is the first step to keeping it clean, germ-free and infection free too. It also saves the sponge from any accidental product spill. Make sure that you never leave your sponge dry after the makeup is done. In case you do, follow these steps:
• Soak it for 10 minutes in a mixture of 1 part of coconut oil and 2 parts of gentle soap.
• Take some warm water in a round deep dish and soak the sponge in it.
• Repeat soaking it in the mixture of coconut oil and gentle soap for 2 minutes.
• Rinse thoroughly under warm running water
• Let it dry (and swear that you will never leave it the same again!)
10 Effective Ways to Get Rid of Stretch Marks Naturally
10 Effective Ways to Use Oils in your Skin Care Routine
10 Effective Ways to Treat Acne at Home
Jewelry: How to Clean Jewellery at Home
Toothpaste Pack To Clean Blackheads: Do It Yourself
Step by Step Guide – How to Clean your Hair Brushes in 5 Easy Steps
Beauty blusher by Beautyblender
9 Biggest Beauty Blender Mistakes and How to Correct Them
Different Types of Makeup Sponges, Their Uses and Benefits
Forever 21 Contoured Makeup Sponges
6 Ways to Use a Makeup Sponge