In my post on how to get a perfect pout, I had mentioned that exfoliating your lips is important before you apply any makeup on your lips. So, I thought of writing this article to help you know the easy ways on how to exfoliate your lips. Actually, exfoliation of lips should be a part of your regular beauty regimen since this practice makes healthy lips achievable. When lips are exfoliated properly, all the unwanted dead cells are removed effectively and this in turn, helps your lips to retain moisture content.
How To Exfoliate Your Lips Properly?
Are you wondering how you should go about exfoliating your lips? Well, this can very simple since you can either invest in some good readymade lip exfoliants available in the market or make easy homemade recipes with which you can exfoliate your lips at home, but since you do not have too many options as far as readymade lip exfoliants are concerned, it is better that you go for simple DIY recipes of lip scrubs as they are pocket-friendly and do not involve too much of effort.
How to Exfoliate Lips with Easy Home-made Recipes?
- Honey-sugar lip scrub: Sugar being one of the best natural exfoliants and honey with all its moisturizing ability, can be mixed together to make a wonderful lip scrub. Mix a spoon of honey with two spoons of sugar. Apply it on your lip and stay for sometime. Wipe off with the help of a piece of wet cloth by very gentle circular motions.
- Olive oil-sugar lip scrub: Combine sugar and olive oil in equal amounts and apply the concoction on your lips. Wait for a couple of minutes and then, wipe it off with wet cloth.
- Baking soda-water lip exfoliant: Make a thick paste by combining baking soda with water. Apply it on your lips and leave it on for sometime. Wipe off the paste after sometime. Follow up with a nourishing lip balm.
- Olive oil-coffee scrub: Mix a spoon of olive oil with one spoon of coffee. The components should be mixed well and then massaged slowly on the lips. Leave it on for about three or four minutes and rinse off. Apply a lip balm or a lip moisturizer.
How To Exfoliate Lips with a Toothbrush?
Are you absolutely unwilling to spend time and energy preparing homemade lip balms? In that case, the toothbrush and petroleum jelly can be your savior! Indeed, you heard it right! Take the tub of petroleum jelly you have at your home and apply a thick layer of the same on your lips. If you do not have petroleum jelly, any thick creamy moisturizer will do! Now, take a toothbrush (preferably a baby toothbrush) and start to brush your lips gently. This is one of the easiest ways of exfoliating your lips. Any excess petroleum jelly can be done away with by using damp cloth.
How To Exfoliate Lips: Tips and Warnings
- Be gentle while exfoliating your lips. If you scrub too hard, your lips would get sore.
- After exfoliating your lips, try not to skip the moisturizing part. Applying a rich lip balm after exfoliation would help you get the beautiful lips you dream of!
- Do not end up over-using lip scrubs. This might worsen dry lip conditions.
- It is always better to exfoliate your lips once a week, or at the most, twice every week, but not more.
- Homemade lip scrubs work wonderfully well. They have no preservatives and hence, these scrubs are all natural and the shelf life is also very short.
- Application of lip exfoliant with the help of a cotton swab is a good idea if you do not want to transfer the germs on your fingers into the tub or the scrub container.
How To Get Youthful Hands
How To Choose The Right Perfume
How to Apply Pencil Eyeliner – tutorial
How to Fix Common Makeup Mistakes
How To Curl Hair Without Heat – Rags
How to Become Fair Naturally
How To Minimize A Large Forehead
How to Wear Belts
How To Perm Hair
How to Apply Liquid Foundation using Flat Top Kabuki Brush
How To Choose Foundation Shade for Skin
How to Get Rid of Stains from Silk Clothes
How To Make Hair Grow Faster
How To Apply Cream Blush
How to Contour Face with Makeup
How to Straighten Hair
How to Highlight Your Face – Photo Tutorial
How To Do Pedicure At Home in 5 Easy Steps
Garnier Pure Exfoliating Face Wash
Himalaya Herbals Gentle Exfoliating Walnut Scrub
How To Get Bigger Lips Naturally
How To Get Bigger Lips Naturally
Lip Pigmentation- Remedies for Pigmented Lips
Lips: How to Make Lips Look Fuller
How To Make Lips Pink Naturally
How To get Rid of Dark Lips : Daily Beauty Tips
Image Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
46 thoughts on “How To Exfoliate Lips”
Somreeta, thats a very nice article..thanks for the tips :thanks: :thanks: ..ive a concern, ive read tat exfoliating lips might make it darker in long run..is this true? ?:)
As far as I know,exfoliating your lips causes no such thing. 🙂 In fact,exfoliation also lightens the lips. :specs:
thanks Pragnya for this prompt reply wen i wasnt around :puchhi: :puchhi:
Devilgal,,….even i havnt heard any such thing. dont think it darkens lips…..on the other hand, it helps to lighten dark patches on lips. 😉 😉 😉
If you over-exfoliate, then you will cause wounds on your lips, and even after they heal, they could leave ugly marks, and make your lips appear darker. But as Somreeta rightly said, don’t over exfoliate and you should be okay 🙂
absolutely Samantha :toothygrin: thanx 😉
Thanks a lot ladies… i tried the toothbrush technology yest and its amazing!!!!!!!!!! thank u somy :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
Hi Somreeta, pretty informative. :specs: Any tips on making the lips natural pink? :methinks: :methinks: :methinks:
Please refer to this article:
http://uae.makeupandbeauty.com/ways-naturally-pink-lips/ Hope it helps. 🙂
Thanks PD :love: :love:
u can use beetroot apply it on lips it stains ur lips pink… 🙂 🙂 regular scrubbing n using sun-safe lip balm keeps lips pink naturally pink in the long run… :specs: :specs: :specs: :specs:
Hi TA! Pragnyadeepta and keirti have already helped you out i guess :pompom:
somreeta… ur new DP i nice… u looking pretty… 🙂 🙂 🙂
ehehehe…..Thankewwwwwwww Kierti :puchhi: :puchhi: :puchhi: i changed it few dayz back :jiggy1:
oh mene aaj hi dkha… me late lateef… :idk: :idk: :idk: he he he
You look lovely in your new dp,Somreeta! :teddy: I’m going :green:
Kierti……..! :yahoo: :yahoo:
and thanx Pragnya :happydance: me happy happy :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:
Yes Somreeta they certailnly did! :thanks: :thanks: How do I change my DP…tell me too :methinks: :methinks:
:thanks: Keirti!! I use Himalaya lip balm…i think it has some sun safe ingredients in it. :haanji: :haanji: :haanji: :haanji:
Amazing article yet again,Somreeta! :clap: :clap: :thanks: :thanks: I haven’t tried that baking soda exfoliant yet.Will do it soon., :specs: :specs:
thank you Pragnyadeepta :thanks: :thanks: ya…its better you try the baking soda tips after winters as it has a tendency to dry out lips and never forget the lip balm :waytogo:
Sach kya? I’ll keep that in mind! Thank you,hun! :puchhi:
ur welcome dearie :puchhi:
awesome article somreeta :)) plz do an article on tips for pigmented lips
sure Vid…wil do dat verrrry soon :toothygrin:
nice..i exfoliate my lips regularly..dis keeps my lips soft n supple 🙂
dats wonderful kanika :thumbsup: ….i too do it but im rather irregular 😛
vry nice artcle..but i read in femina dat xfoliation of lips damages its thin layer :-s
thanx heena :thanks: all you need is to avoid over-exfoliation…and also be gentle :preen: :preen: dats all dear
lovely n informative articl Somreeta… :-*
thanks Kierti :teddy: :teddy:
nice article somreeta! i like the fact that we can also exfoliate using our toothbrush!! :teeth
glad u liked it so much srishi :yahoo: :teeth :teeth
You wowed me again :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: 😉 😉 😉 ..loved your post. :thanks:
u r a darling :teddy: :teddy: :teddy: :teddy:
Wonderful tips somreeta :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: would surely try :)) :))
thank you sooo much Ranjana :thanks: :thanks:
What a wonderful post, Somreeta! :thumbsup: You are awesome! :woot: :woot: I was so bored of the usual sugar and honey scrub and wanted to try something new. Thanks for all those ideas. Will try the coffee one. :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:
Good one Somreeta :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: ….I seriously need to follow the tips given in this article :toothygrin: :toothygrin: :toothygrin: :toothygrin: :toothygrin:
Hey Som,Good article :thanks: Even i m going to try the coffee scrub :dance: method today. Even i liked you DP avatar :love: . For i second i felt you have put Kajol’s pic :stars: .