Belts- The Most Undermined but Most Important Accessory!
Hey lovelies hows the new year coming up for you? still sticking to your new year’s resolutions? I broke a few but I’m trying to keep a few others.. hehehe. Well, I still have to work more on my not-being-lazy resolution and that’s why despite having a lot of ideas for blogging I haven’t written much.. but now Im here and presenting my idea and my very 1st article of 2011 and in future more will surely come!!!
Now-a-Days I have to say that I’m addicted to the ‘power’ of belts. I’ve just started incorporating more colored belts and printed belts into my wardrobe, so I expect that number to increase significantly. I believe that a great and very inexpensive way to take an outfit in a whole other direction is to add a belt!
Belts can be worn with:
– Jeans or khakis
– Dress pants
– Skorts (its a cross between a skirt and shorts- a huge hit in the US)
– Long tunics
– Oversized tank tops or t-shirt
* Belts can take a solid shift dress or a monochrome head to toe look and bump up the interest or chic factor on what otherwise who be a ‘miss’ instead of hit!
* An interesting or intricate belt added to an all black outfit or a print dress can be just the right finish touch.
* Luxe belts can be showtoppers and can serve an added function by drawing the eye away from problem areas.
* Belts are a wonderful way of making a women with a straight up and down body type look like she has curves by cinching in the waist to create the illustration of womanly curves.
* There are so many different style and shapes to choose from in belt. The options are too numerous to detail here, but you can easily find what’s your looking for to compliment any body type or complete any outfit.
* Cinch and Wide belts (2 to 4 inches) are great accessories to set off a solid or print dress, sweater dresses, blazers, shirts and blouses. There are so many creative styles to choose from, double-buckle, twish lock, woven, obi-style, corset, ornamented buckles and brooch belts, the list is endless as belt designs become more creative.
* Thin belts (1/2 to 1 3/4 inches)- You can get a lot of diverse looks with belts this size. They can be layered, worn in pairs or slung low on the hips.
* Wraps- You can buy the extra long ones and use them as wrap around belts. They come them with rocker studs and spikes or grommets, brights colors, metal tones and animal prints.
* Office Belts- You can also pick your classic braided, woven and leather styles for career outfits.
However, the key here to determine what kind of belt works great not only with your outfit, but with your body type:
* Sashes- These scarf-like belts are worn loosely at or slightly above the hips. They look great with a long shirt or dress. Women with “pear-shaped” bodies should avoid this style of belt as it will add more bulk to your mid-section and hips.
* Thin leather belts- For the most part, this style looks great with jeans or other pants that have belt loops. However, if you tend to have a smaller waist, but larger hips, make sure that your pants fit well before trying to hold them up with a belt. Leather belts, or similar thinner styles, will tend to pull on the back loops and cut into your back and hips if the pants aren’t the right size.
* Wide buckle belts- These refer to leather belts (or any material really) that are at least two to three inches wide and have a decorative buckle. These look good sitting right above the hips as the buckle will draw the attention away from the hip area.
* Cinch belts- Again, not for every plus size woman, this style of belt has either a hook and eye or Velcro closure in the back or front. They range from three inches wide to about eight inches. The thicker belts are also known as corset belts as they are worn like that style of lingerie. They can be mae from leather (or it’s equivalent) or elastic. Women with small stomach and hip areas would best benefit from these belts.
* Chain belts- Add a bit of glimmer and flare to a pair of jeans or a long tunic. This style will fit well on almost any body type as the design will draw attention away from your problem areas. Many of these belts come with extensions so they can fit any plus size lady.
* Tie belts- These are made from leather ties and some sort of embellishment such as shells, coins or discs. They tie in the front and can be worn with or without belt loops.
As you can see: this is the easiest affordable accessory that every fashionista should never do without. So what belt are u wearing today?
How to Wear Jewelry & Fashion Accessories
How to Wear Scarf, How to Tie Scarf
Cardigans: How to Wear a Cardigan Sweater
How to Wear Plaid (Tartan) Pattern
Sweater Dresses : How to Style a Sweater Dress
How To Get Pregnant
57 thoughts on “How to Wear Belts”
hehehehehe …. i so thin that even those wide elastic belts are loose for me 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆
Oh? I will get you the wrist bands of my tennis player friends. You can wear them as belts. :tongue:
nopes … tht ll be too tight for me 🙁 🙁 … think of sumthin better than tht
Ummm…. headbands would do? :tongue:
LMaO…. try the kids section.. hahahaha
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
yeah never tried that ………tht MIGHT JUST WORK …….DUNNO HV TO TRY IT
Hi Beenii!! Loved your article!! :yes: :yes: Till now I have only worn thin leather belts!! I have always wanted to experiment with belts but my own inhibitions wudn’t let me….Your info really gives me some confidence to try something new!! :thanks:
Even me…. I had like 1 or 2 always… but I saw so much variety here… 😀
wow….I have just one leather belt from UCB…..which I wear with all my jeans…..I am so tempted to actually go and but these fancy ones…. :yahoo: :yahoo:
And me got the same boots as in the first pic :yahoo:
Boot look so sassy naa 😀
even Ive started liking them… wud look grt on u 😀
I have tummy tucking belt and I love it :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:
😐 Very good.. 😐
rati MC is releasing tomorrow :woot:
cant tell you how excited I am :yahoo: :yahoo:
you know I might not be picking up the entire collection tomorrow but there is a different excitement altogether
you have been mean to me the entire day and now rads ka husband tells me that i should chronicle my daily doings…. :weep: :weep: :weep: :weep: :weep: :weep: :weep: :violinbash: :violinbash: :violinbash: :violinbash: :violinbash:
:-* :-* :-*
tummy tucking belt??? yeh kya hain?? tell me tell me plz- I will also take it- my tummy growing every day :((
and not because of u know what… lolzzzz
i loove belts
too bad i couldn’t wear them till now coz of my weight. boo!
now i tuck in my tshirt inside my jeans and wear cute cute belts :toothygrin:
Rima!Could you please share with us your diet & excercise regimen & how you lost weight plzz. I have been planning to shed some kilos, I need inspiration! :))
i’ll surely share soon uzma 🙂
Rimaaa….. saviour…. plz share sachhi…. we need some 1st hand motivation..
:jaiho: :jaiho: :jaiho: :jaiho: :jaiho: :jaiho:
Great article Beenii! Belts are such an essential accessory to have, not just for the style factor but also for the utility. Recently, I had a wardrobe crisis and I ended up wearing my Mum’s overcoat which was 3 sizes larger for me with a wide leather belt and I got so many compliments!
Woww Ankita…. dat sounds grt.. will try that too 😉
and also u can wear it with the boyfrien shirt- looks grt… I borrow my hubby’s shirts all the time..lolzzz
thnks a lot dear :thanks: :thanks:
Thanks for the tip Beenii. I’m gonna try that.
True Rima, look at all those pics, all hve flat tummies
atleast we must have decent tummies to flaunt those belts :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:
heheheVeena no- even I dont have a flat tummy but yaha aane ke baad I wear things which id have never dared back then…
Its all about how u carry yourself-
sometimes u can look grt in a simple tee and soemtimes even a designer dress cant help u…
sab attitude ki baat hain!!!
All my life I was wearing ill-fitting kurtis with equally Ill-fitting jeans…. but abhi since I started following blogs and IMBB and cosmo 😉
ab pata chala ke its not about expensive slothing or sexy body- its all making the best what u have…
huggssssssss :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose:
true yar, decent tummy tho chaikya nah 😉
we dnt need desinger clothes and custome made cosmetics to flaunt the oomph factor :toothygrin: :toothygrin: well said Beenie :thanks: :thanks:
Pehle meko to lene de 😉 😉
:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
:yes: good post!!
:thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
thnks anks 🙂
Beautiful, well researched and detailed article, Bee. :)) I like both thin and wide belts but I am not too experimental with them. I just like my basic belts and they are sort of must have for me. 🙂
Thnks a ton Rati 😀 me too had 1 basic black belt and 1 spare…
abhi Im experimenting with some colored ones..a nd I want to buy 1 cinch types… it looks grt on long tunic type tops…
will belts look good on long kurtis???