VOV Liquid eyeliner review
My first ever VOV purchase. It’s the black liquid eyeliner. In fact, I heard about this brand on IMBB only. And when I saw some of its products in a local store near my house, I bought this eyeliner just to have a taste of this brand.
Product description: VOV liquid eyeliner- a fantastic color-land for a professional make-up artist.
Price: 60/- not mentioned, this is the price I got it for.
Quantity: 6 ml
Packaging: Very sleek and classic. It is a silver plastic encasing which make it durable too. I think I am a little biased towards anything packed in silver so I like this long slender silver casing of the liner too. 😉
The liner is provided with a brush for application. The brush is thin and has very fine soft bristles which make the application easy and quick.
Ingredients: Deionised water, EDTA, Borax, Bleached shellac, Sodium carboxy methyl cellulose, veegum Triethanolamine, Propylene glycol, Methyl paraben, Propyl paraben, GlycerylMonostearate, Lanolin, Steric acid, Color & pigment, 2 phenoxyethanol.
Explanation of some of the main ingredients:
• EDTA is a primary chelating agent (binds free metal ions). It helps reduce the hardness (mineral content) in tap water.
• Shellac is an animal product, a resin secreted from the Coccus lacca (lac beetle), a scale that feeds on certain trees in India and southern Asia. It adds shine in cosmetics.
• Triethanolamine reduces the surface tension of the substances to be emulsified so that water-soluble and oil-soluble ingredients can be blended together.
• GlycerylMonostearate can be thought of as a glycerine backbone with 1 fatty chain attached. It can be derivd from most vegetable oils easily.
• 2-Phenoxyethanol occurs naturally, e.g. in the secretion of the chin gland of male rabbits. It is a good penetrating agent and is used in detergent, cosmetics and ointment for skin
• Lanolin is highly refined oil derived from wool grease which is scoured (washed) from natural sheep’s wool. Its ability to moisturize the skin is related to its water binding capacity.
• Sodium carboxy methyl cellulose is used as an emulsifier, thickener, suspending agent, etc., in cosmetics and pharmaceuticals.
• Methylparaben is produced naturally and found in several fruits, primarily blueberries, along with other parabens. There is no evidence that methyl paraben or propyl parabens are harmful at concentrations typically used in body care or cosmetics. They are considered ‘generally recognized as safe (GRAS)’ for food and cosmetic antibacterial preservation.
My take on the VOV eyeliner:
I find this eyeliner cheap and good. This is jet black matte eyeliner that is waterproof and stays practically the whole day long on the eyes.
I found it in a neighbouring cosmetic shop when I was staying with my in-laws last month. The lady owner of that shop was my neighbour cum friend and as I visited her shop for the first time, I was obligated to purchase something out of courtesy. She had many things but VOV brand cosmetics caught my eyes and as my Lakme eyeliner is almost over, I thought of buying it along with some hair clips. She did not even charge me with the market rate and so it was a further bonus for me 😉 😛
I have used it several times and it had not failed me in terms of staying power and color pay-off. One stroke of it gives jet black color. No stinging caused to my eyes. The sleek soft brush makes the application easy; whether I want to make a thin line or go for a thicker eye liner. It does take some time to set/dry off but once set, it does not budge easily. If you rub your eyes very hard then it may fade away but who does that once we put so much time and effort to do our eye makeup.
I have tested it by applying the liner in the day without applying any primer or setting it with an e/s, but even after 7-8 hours, the liner stayed intact. I have a habit of splashing water on my face and patting dry every 2 hours or so but even then the liner did not get wiped off. After 7 hours, it starts fading away but very slightly.
Left: Testing the liner under running water and right: the liner swatch on wet hand. The slight fading is because I checked it before fully drying off. 😛
It gets easily removed using any makeup remover or cleanser. So summarizing the good and bad points of the product.
Pros of the VOV liquid eyeliner:
• Cheap but good product.
• Jet black.
• Perfect matte eyeliner. I am not a fan of glitter eyeliners so this one is perfect for me.
• Stays easily up to 7 hours without priming or setting with an e/s.
• Great color payoff. One stroke/swipe of this gives super black color.
• Soft and slim brush for applying.
• Eye catching packaging. No worry of breakage or losing the product.
• Does not irritate the eyes. Do not sting even if applied on the waterline.
• Waterproof does not mean that it takes time to get removed. A simple cleanser would rub it off easily.
• No ingredients mentioned are harmful for the eyes.
Cons of the VOV liquid eyeliner:
• Availability may be a problem.
• Takes some time to dry off so one has to be a little patient.
• Contains parabens. Although they are not harmful for the given concentration but some of you may prefer paraben free cosmetics.
• I am not happy with the quantity supplied. This is a total personal preference; I like more quantity of my liners. :silly:
Recommend/Repurchase: All in all, I like this product and would recommend it to all those girls who do not want to invest a lot in an eye liner. For them, such a great product at such reasonable rate is a sure shot winner. Whether I would purchase it or not is still a mystery because I never found any VOV product in Hyderabad as yet. Maybe as I do not visit the local cosmetics shop much. If I found it, I would try it and even other products from VOV.
VOV Professional Trio Blusher in 01
VOV Auto Eyeliner Review, Swatches
Rimmel Liquid Eyeliner and Rimmel Pencil Eyeliner
Avon Glimmersticks Eye Liner
VOV Nail Paint French Manicure Kit Review, Tips
VOV Nail Colours and Perfumed Nail Cleanser