Hi everyone, if you are familiar with the Stila brand, you must have surely heard of at least these 3 of their products: Lip Glazes, Kitten Eyeshadow and their Kajal Eyeliners. I remember picking this particular liner up from Sephora mainly because of “Kajal” in its name. I was in the US for a long time and a familiar Hindi word was enough to make me all nostalgic and emotional and I just had to get it. Another reason for my buy was because kohl is one of those products that I use every single day without fail. Even though I love all things makeup, there are many days when all I do is apply kajal and mascara with a lipstick/lip balm and that’s it.
This is how Stila describes the Kajal Eye Liners on their website: “Kajal eye liners are formulated to mimic the ultra-soft texture of the Indian eye darkener of the same name. The luscious formula is silky smooth and glides on perfectly, without dragging across the most fragile skin around the eye area. Delivers bold, clear, true color that blends easily and beautifies.” Onyx is a jet black color and I picked this up as black is the color I use the most on both my waterline as well as as an eyeliner.
Isohexadecane, octyldodecanol, polyethylene, microcrystalline wax \cera microcristallina\cire microcristalline, ethylhexyl palmitate, euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax\candelilla cera\cire de candelilla, aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, vinyl dimethicone/methicone silsesquioxane crosspolymer, tocopherol, ascorbyl palmitate, lecithin, caprylyl methicone, lauryl methacrylate/glycol dimethacrylate crosspolymer, disteardimonium hectorite, citric acid, propylene carbonate, [+/- mica, titanium dioxide (ci 77891), iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), aluminum powder (ci 77000), bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163), blue 1 lake (ci 42090), carmine (ci 75470), chromium hydroxide green (ci 77289), chromium oxide greens (ci 77288), ferric ferrocyanide (ci 77510), manganese violet (ci 77742), ultramarines (ci 77007), yellow 5 lake (ci 19140)]
Available in 5 colors.
stilacosmetics.com, Sephora, sephora.com, Ulta, ulta.com. Not available in India (can be found on ebay, amazon, allcosmeticswholesale.com, etc.)
What I Love about Stila Kajal Eye Liner in Onyx:
• Onyx is the truest deepest and darkest black eyeliner I have ever come across. A very dramatic intense opaque jet black color that overshines all black eyeliners I own. The pigmentation is just amazing.
• It is not only the blackest liner I own, but also the creamiest. It glides on so effortlessly that no pulling is required at all. In one swipe, I get the most intense color ever.
• Onyx is also amazingly long lasting. One stroke and the color lasts on the waterline for almost 8-10 hours.
• Not only on the waterline, but even as an eyeliner, it stays on and on and comes off completely only with a makeup remover.
• Onyx is excellent to create the smudged smokey eye look. As I mentioned before, it is extremely creamy and it get smudged easily to create that dark, intense look.
• A little goes a long way. Application with a light hand is enough to get the deepest color without any effort at all.
• Pitch black color and long lasting for oily lids as well.
• I am a contact lens wearer and have had no problems whatsoever with applying it even on my waterline.
• Packaging is gorgeous!
(Left: Stila Kajal Eyeliner in Onyx; Right: Lotus Natural Herbals – a comparison of the blackness of the eyeliners. Lotus Kajal happens to be one of my favorite eyeliners but when I compared it with the Stila Onyx, I was extremely surprised at the huge difference of the color and creaminess between the 2)
(Stila Kajal Eyeliner in Onyx – one stroke)
(Lotus Natural Herbals Kajal – one stroke)
What I Don’t Love about Stila Kajal Eye Liner in Onyx:
• Although I love it for its creaminess, it is also this pencil’s biggest flaw. It is so creamy that it can get smudged everywhere (please avoid rubbing eyes at any cost when you have Onyx on). There is a very high probability of getting those dreaded raccoon eyes. Here’s my little tip on how I avoid it:
When applying the eye shadow primer, make sure you apply a little bit just below the waterline. This ensures that the liner doesn’t smudge at all and stays put on the waterline all day. After the application of the liner, take a black shadow with an angled brush and go over the line to seal it.
• It is so soft that even though a little goes a long way, the pencil needs to be sharpened quite frequently.
• This point sort of ties to with the second. To begin with, the price of $18 is quite steep for an eyeliner and with frequent sharpening, it’s quite a waste of both money and product.
• Non availability in India. You would be able to find it online though.
4 out of 5.
Will I Buy Again?
Even though the Kajal eyeliner is quite expensive and can be smudged everywhere, I still love it! When I compare it with the other liners I own, that’s when I realize what a true black eyeliner should really be. It is actually like butter in terms of its texture and application and I love to use this to play up my eyes. This requires a little technique to avoid the smudging and transferring and once I got the hang of it, I have always gone back to it. I will be repurchasing once I run out even though $18 is quite a lot as I am absolutely fascinated by how incredibly smooth this is and how intensely black the color is. However, I will stay away from the other shades as I don’t think spending so much on a colored liner will be worth it since I hardly use colors on my waterline.
My Stila Makeup Shopping
Stila Lip Glaze Kitten Review, Swatches, Photos
Kajal Wars : VLCC vs Lotus Herbals vs Himalaya
Faces Cosmetics Kajal
Lakme Gypsy Collection Black Satin Kajal Experiment Photos
Maybelline Colossal Kajal Photos, Swatches
Jovees Kajal Review, Swatch
Shahnaz Husain Herbal Kajal
Biotique Almond Kajal
Amway Attitude Eye Pencil: Kajal Coal
How To Prevent Kajal from Smudging – Daily Beauty Tips
How To Make Kajal (Kohl) for Eyes at Home
Kajal : Oriflame Beauty Kajal Eye Liner/ Coloressence Bridal Kajal
Avon Simply Pretty Kajal
Survey Result- Top 5 Kajal (Kohl) Brands
Ambika Pillai Liquid Eye liner
Revlon Colorstay Liquid Liner (Twinkle) Photos, Swatches
Victoria’s Secret Brilliant Glitter Liquid Liner
VOV Liquid Eye liner
Colorbar Color Intense Liquid Liner Photos, Swatches
Daily Beauty Tips : How To Apply Liquid Eyeliner
Rimmel Liquid Eyeliner and Rimmel Pencil Eye liner
NYX Liquid Eye Liner
L’Oreal Extra Intense Liquid Pencil Eyeliner Review and Swatches
Avon Metallic Liquid Eyeliner
Chambor Smooth-On Liquid Eyeliner
Good Smudge Proof Liquid Eyeliners below Rs 1000
Maybelline Ultra Waterproof Liner and Lakme Insta Liner
Eyeliner: Different Types of Eyeliners
Avon Nailwear Pro Deluxe Chocolate & Onyx Sparkle Review, NOTD