The monsoons are finally here!!!!!!!!!! Yayyyy…..the scorching heat was getting unbearable..but monsoons have their own set of problems…..Monsoons are fun only if you are at a picnic at some beach, waterpark or some waterfall or just out with friends at Mumbai’s marine drive, else monsoons are quite messy for the daily office routine and monsoons also mean we are unable to use quite some of our makeup products…a lot of things take a back seat as soon as monsoon sets in but I am glad we still have some products which we can use even during monsoons without the fear of raccoon eyes and messing up our entire face and waterproof mascara is one of them.
What it claims:
- Waterproof mascara
- Upto 7x more volume
- Instantly in just one coat
- Dramatic volume with no clumps
- Patented MegaBrush + Collagen formula plump lashes one by one
Price : INR 399 for 10 ml. Use within 6 months of opening.
How to use :
- Sweep brush upwards from root to tip to plump individual lashes and achieve dramatic volume. Continue building lashes until you reach your desired look. Do not let dry between coats. Repeat for lower lash line.
Maybelline the Colossal Volum’ Express Mascara comes in a big fat yellow tube. I find the packaging very attractive and the bright yellow makes it easy to spot the tube even in a whole bunch of your makeup items. This mascara comes in 2 kinds…non-waterproof and waterproof. Cost of both is the same. When I went to purchase this, the SA suggested I buy the non-waterproof one if I am looking for casual wear. Mainly because you need a special eye makeup remover to remove the waterproof one. Removing the waterproof mascara was not an issue for me since I use olive oil to remove my mascara and I preferred the water-proof one since it is tears-proof as well and I use this at weddings where at times I tend to cry so waterproof one was the best option for me. 😀 I love Maybelline products and none of the Maybelline products which I have bought until now have let me down. That’s the reason I bought the Maybelline mascara…I was sure Maybelline wouldn’t let me down this time too and it didn’t.
What I like about the mascara
- It really is waterproof. I havnt worn this mascara and gone out in heavy rains to but I’ve worn it to weddings where I’ve shed a tear or two and even after that this mascara has stayed in place. I have seen so many times when people who have worn non-waterproof mascara cry, you can see black tears coming down their face and it definitely does not look good. But this mascara does nothing of that sort. I’ve also splashed water on my face wearing this mascara and that did not take off the mascara or caused raccoon eyes.
- It does not clump. Though if you want to apply more than 1 coat, apply the 2nd coat before the first one dries. I normally apply 2 coats.
- Like the name says, it does add volume to the lashes. My lashes look big in a nice way.
- It really opens up my eyes. 1 swipe of the mascara and the sleepy looking eyes are gone!
- I find the bright yellow packaging very attractive
- The consistency is good to work with, not very runny neither very thick.
- The fine bristles of the wand help cover each and every lash.
- Reasonably priced. Since the life of mascara is not much, it hurts to spend a huge amount on mascaras.
What I dislike about the mascara
- It does add volume to lashes but not the 7x kinds that Maybelline claims. Not that I want that much volume but they rather deliver what they claim!
- wish the wand would be much more easier to use in the corners of the eyes while using on the lower lash. I have never poked my eyes but I cannot use this as comfortably on the lower lash line as comfortably I use this on the upper lash line.
Rating : :star: :star::star::star:
Would I recommend this to others and re-purchase for myself : I would definitely recommend this to others. It would be a great buy for the monsoons specially. I would also recommend using olive oil to remove mascara as it tends to be less harsh on eye lashes compared to even eye makeup removers.
- The word mascara is derived from the Italian word maschera which means mask.
- In the early 1900s, a chemist named T. L Williams made mascara by mixing coal dust and Vaseline petroleum jelly for his sister Mabel. He later formed ‘Maybelline’ which we all know is a leading cosmetics company. The word ‘Maybelline’ is a combination of Mabel + Vaseline.
- I have read somewhere that Mascaras come in 3 forms : liquid, cake and cream. I’ve never heard of or seen cake or cream mascara.. Anyone of you have come across a cake or cream mascara??
Also Read :
Maybelline SuperStay Lip Color
Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner (Black) Review, Photos, Swatches
Maybelline Ultra Liner Dark Brown 302
67 thoughts on “Maybelline Colossal Volum Express Waterproof Mascara Review”
Looks brilliant :jump:
.-= ki.´s last blog ..Wedding worries =-.
It is good Ki..u shud try it out 🙂
the brush seems nice… i think i’l buy it !!!
It will be a good buy fr monsoons…u don’t hv to worry abt the rains 😉
Seems like a good mascara. Interesting facts! Thanks for sharing:)
Never heard of cake or cream mascara ?:-) Enjoy the monsoons!
.-= Sunaina´s last blog ..Arabian night =-.
even i never heard of cake or cream mascara… ?:-)
Thanks sunaina….I am now doubting the authencity of this piece of info…I read it somewhr on the internet
There ARE cake and cream mascaras. Google babes yields a lot of results. Cake mascara is mascara in pressed form. You are suppose to moist the brush (with water) and stroke it over the cake mascara and then apply from the root of the lashes to tip. Here is one cake mascara I found in IMBB shop:
So HD, your info is authentic. 😎
Interesting…Thank you so much Sanjeev…I think i’ll do a bit of googling myself on this 🙂
Good going Sanjeev Bhaiya taking alot of interest in our makeup posts…!!! trying to find some gifting ideas for your beautiful wife..??
I love Maybelline… I am sure I’ll love this too… After your review I have to buy this….
I love Maybelline!! It hs never let me down and their prices are very reasonable…..the Have to buy list is never ending is it :))
Hey fun trivia…
Cake and cream mascaras were early forms of mascara..
Maxfactor was the first co to bring the wand and tube format… It’s been the same for everybody since then… I think I read this in Wikipedia…
oh wow!! People have raved raved and raved abut this product. I have kind of mixed experience with Maybelline but this fat yellow tube is must buy I guess. And 260 doesn’t pinch at all. 🙂
I loved the fun trivia. 🙂
Ohh…which product of Maybelline didnt work well?? yes 260 is very reasonable indeed
i really want this..as many of u may already know…i am gonna get it someday soon…..
ya get it soon and let us know how ur liking it 😀
I went shopping just to get this one [I ended up buying many more that is a different story ;)] and the counter was too crowded with just one SA. So I thought I’ll visit later. My next buy is this mascara for sure 🙂
:laugh: the same thing happens with me…everytime I go to buy something which I need I end up buying 2-3 more things…I recently went to get the colorbar nail hardner and the SA kept on showing me the eye shadow palletes, hollywood lights lipstick n what not, n I was soooo tempted to buy the lipstick but I firmly n politely refused her and moved away before she tempted me w something else 😉
i too liked the pacakaging….its soo cute. I got to hav this…….
thx forthe review…. :-*
It is really cute…thick chubby tube and bright yellow
Let me knw how u find it :-*
I too really like this mascara. Good value for money, stays put & fab in every way. Like you, I only wish they didn’t exaggerate the 9x or 7x volume promise coz it so doesn’t do that.
Also it tends to get a little clumpy around the 5th month – I guess its just time to get a new tube then 🙂
ya…since it expires by 6 mths this is kind of an indication that u need to buy a new one 🙂
Nice review HD..!!!
I just got it 4-5 days back and have been using it daily and im loving it totally… and the yellow fat tube looks really good..!!!
It stays good for atleast 4-5 hours after that the curl starts disappearing but it still looks good..!!
gr8!! which one did you did? the normal version or waterproof one?? believe me I have got compliments from unexpected people most of the times I’ve worn this
so pretty !
I’m getting this one for sure 🙂
.-= Palak´s last blog ..New in Lush – Colour supplements . A preview =-.
Let me know Palak how you find it after using 🙂
Nice review HD. 🙂 I have the non-waterproof version of this mascara and I love it! Of course no 9X volume, but it does give my lashes good length and thickness. My one grouse (like you) is not being able to reach the corners of the eyes with this brush. The non-waterproof version is water resistant – I’ve splashed water on my face while wearing this mascara (don’t ask why) and it did not run.
None of the Maybelline eye makeup products have let me down. I can’t say the same for their face makeup though. Maybelline mousse blush gets all balled up while trying to blend it – may be it’s just me or may be it’s Maybelline. 😛
So true Sonal…Maybe its Maybelline :chic:
Since the cost of both is the same, maybe you shud try the water-proof one next time..
Oh I too didnt like the mousse blush but I am thinking abt getting the mousse bronzer…i’ve read some good reviews abt it….
I love Maybelline moisture extreme lipsticks though….My 2 most used lipsticks are from them
Thanks Sonal 🙂
🙂 i use the same !
I LOVE IT
I just stop using this and switch to Revitalash mascara so far its doing good!
:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: I LOVE THIS ONE
.-= giasaysthat´s last blog ..Headband collection =-.
woops i didn’t know i had commented earlier about this 😐 ok anyway
THIS IS MY FIRST MASCARA 😀
i got this 2 months back!
and i have been ADDICTED to it! :-))
.-= giasaysthat´s last blog ..Headband collection =-.
I too have THIS………….. 😀
THIS IS MY FIRST MASCARA TOO 😀
and simply loving it…….. :-*
:-)) oooooo nice trivia……..i luv trivia 😛
i just bought this after reading great reviews about this. 😀 thank you imbb for educating me about make up 😀 😛 p.s im addicted to imbb!!!
Just bought this macara(non- waterproof) and tried it today.. It separates and lengthens in just one coat. But sadly no volume..
1 more thing.. is it just me or does the mascara have a peculiar smell which is kind of very strong and not in a favourable way either? But the smell doesn’t remain after u apply it on the lashes though!
Would love to know 🙂
I have been wanting to buy this!Could you please tell me how thick is the brush cause I prefer a thin one.I mean the wand or whatever you call it.
if it is thin I shall just order it online!
Use within 6 months of opening? is that its shelf life?
I love Maybelline products
N this review of Colossal Mascara is making me jump on my heels!
Gotta buy dis asap! 🙂
but can any of you suggest wether Eyeconic mascara is better or this one?