WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS, GET WEEKLY DIET PLANS FOR WEIGHT LOSS, AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
Here is something I wanted to share with all of you since last week. Be prepared as it is going to be a long, but definitely worth reading-cum-eye-opener post.
Just a few weeks back, I got 2-3 really stubborn breakouts on my face and no matter what I applied on them (toothpaste-Iodex-Clean and Clear Spot Treatment Gel, Turmeric paste, etc.), :stars: they where not ready to leave at all. I had to attend a grand party around the weekend and I didn’t want to attend it with 3 massive/ugly pimples on my face. I don’t know what on earth hit my head :headbang: which numbed my brain completely and I picked up “Soframycin” from our first aid kit and applied loads of it on my face :headbang:
The next morning, when I woke up, my face looked like a battleground of acne. It was full of breakouts, they were hurting bad, accompanied with itching and redness. So, I had no option but to attend the party with loads of heavy makeup. For the next two days, I kept delaying my visit to the dermatologist thinking it would settle on its own and I should have patience and just applied ice on my face to get some relief from redness and itching. By Monday morning, my face looked worst with more breakouts and I received a good round of bashing from my father for screwing up my face (he blamed all the makeup/cosmetics I use for it :nababana: 😥 ).
I rushed to the dermatologist immediately and he found out that I had some bad allergic reactions + acne relapse. He has now prescribed me really heavy antibiotics and some anti-acne gels. I have been following whatever he told me to and my skin is getting better.
I had a good round of interaction with the dermatologist and I even showed him our blog www.makeupandbeauty.com.
When I told him about all the foreign skin care brands I have been using since last year, he advised me to stick to indigenous brands. I told him that they are not in par with the quality I get from all the high-end foreign brands. The dermatologist then gave me a piece of his mind by explaining how all these “fancy-looking” imported skin care products we get in India are nothing but “foreign dumping” and how importers pick up huge stocks of useless/expired/discontinued products and make huge bucks here in India by selling them at high prices. He wasn’t against any particular brand/company, but he talked about it in general. I asked him to suggest me some good Indian skin care brands then, but he postponed it for our next session/follow up appointment.
I was absolutely intrigued with whatever the dermatologist told me. I came home and started researching more about “foreign dumping.” I could now very well recall one chapter I read in economics about Liberalisation of Indian Economy in 1991” (courtesy our then, PM Mr. P.V. Narsimha Rao). Everything was suddenly making a lot of sense to me as I was reading more about the topic.
I discussed with Heer about all this and we found this really amazing link on the internet. It is called “The Cosmetic Calculator” and here is the link to it. The link allows you to check the manufacturing date, shelf life, expiry date of most of skin care/cosmetic/beauty brands in the world by entering their batch code.
I was shell shocked when I checked that most of my favourite products were either near expiry or they had expired long time back. Even Heer checked a few of her products which she had bought and some of them were expired too. I ended up checking all the foreign/imported products I had that day and I found out that 50% of them were kaput. :tremble: :waaa:
Now, I can’t really pinpoint one particular brand/company whose products have turned out inferior nor can I claim that all the products which I bought online are the unworthy ones.
Here are a few pointers I can suggest you though:
- Try to purchase products from counters.
- Now that you have the link to the Cosmetic Calculator website, please check all the imported products you have on it.
- I will definitely check Indian brands for skin care from now on.
- Even if you are purchasing from proper counters, do come home and check its batch code on the Cosmetic Calculator website. For example, Heer checked one of her expensive face washes from a very well-known skin care brand on the website and she found out that it was expired too and she had purchased it just a few months back, Heer has now tossed it away. :toothygrin:
Here are a few examples for your reference:
Product 1 – Brand “A”, I bought online just a week back.
Result :scream: :scream: :scream:
Product 2: “Brand B,” bought this online.
Result :pompom: :pompom: :pompom:
Product 3: “Brand A,” bought from over the counter.
Result :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Product 4: “Brand C,” bought online.
Result 😥 😥 😥
The website shows correctly that it was manufactured in feb 2010 and so does the product’s label, but while the website tells that it will expire in another 1 month i.e., by february 2012, the package of the product states 2013 ! How cool is that !
I can’t really comment whether the culprit is the whole online shopping thing or be judgemental about any particular brand. You have to now decide yourself what would you purchase/how you would purchase in the future. My main objective behind the whole post was just to acquaint and enlighten everyone and not to target any brand/online shopping scene, but this definitely leaves us with a very big question, why are gullible Indian people targeted by countries to dump their leftovers and who is to blame for all this??
The topic is really super debatable and at the moment I won’t get into any more complexities by writing or venting out my thoughts on the same, but I would definitely appreciate if you could give a thought on this and rationalise it for yourself.
To conclude my article; here are a few things I would like to mention:
- While we do approve of “Daadi Maa-Naani Maa Ki nuskhe” (home remedies) when it comes to general/daily taking care of the skin, but I would suggest that you should rush to your dermatologist as soon as you see that first sign of distress on your skin. Please do not depend on silly products like toothpaste etc. to heal your skin and no matter what the situation is, Do Not just pick up any random thing you see and apply it on your face. In my case, the first wrong I did was delaying the visit and ignored those signs, applied Soframycin and secondly, I applied loads of makeup to conceal my breakouts which aggravated them even more. As a result, I had to undergo a lot of physical+mental stress and it ruined my one year’s hard work of taking good care of my skin.
- We have to often struggle with one question when it comes to skin care whether to “save or splurge.” I would suggest you should again consult a dermatologist and ask him to guide/suggest you products that fit in your budget. Also, following a good skin care routine even if you use decent drugstore brands which suit your skin type can do wonders for your skin.
- I am personally going to pick more indigenous/Indian brands from now on.
- I would restrict my online purchases.
- Lastly, I would cross check whatever foreign/imported products I buy at the website “The Cosmetic Calculator” before I dispense off their invoices 😛
I hope you found my article useful 🙂
P.S.: Nupur is not speaking against online shopping. She has pointed out instances where she has bought products over-the-count also, so please do not think that she is advocating against online shopping.
Yours sincerely 😀 😀
Nufur or fur-fur or nupuri or nu or furfuriya or NUPUR
Image Source: 1
Acne: Types, Causes and Cure
How to Lighten/ Fade Acne Marks
How I Got Rid of Acne
Pimple and Acne Creams that Didn’t Work
How to Get Rid of Acne Scars
Keracnyl Foaming Gel for Acne Prone Skin
Lotus Acne Gel with Tea Tree Oil and Lotus haul
Best Makeup For Acne Prone Skin
Diet for Acne
Rosacnil Gel for Acne and Skin Blemishes
ELF Cosmetics Hits and Misses – Part 1
E.l.f. Studio Contouring Blush & Bronzing Powder
ELF Nail Polish Remover Pads & Nail Polish Review + Swatches
ELF Brightening Eye Color Quad Punk Funk Review, Swatches
E.L.F. Studio Cream Eye Liner Coffee Review, Swatch, EOTD
ELF Hypershine Lipgloss in Berry Cherry
E.L.F Shimmer Eye Pencils – Review & Swatches
ELF Mineral Eyeshadow Royal Review, Photos, Swatches
ELF Makeup Remover Cleansing Cloths