WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS, GET WEEKLY DIET PLANS FOR WEIGHT LOSS, AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
By Monika M.
I am a big-time skincare junkie! I have been an avid follower of skincare routines since my teenage years. But I have to confess that I don’t have the simplest routine when it comes to skincare (Shikha’s skincare post has inspired me to sort it out!). I have combination skin that turns really dry in winters, but thankfully it is not acne prone (touchwood). I have few sensitive skin issues too and all the products that I have mentioned do not aggravate any of the skin conditions.
• In colder months, I stick to Forest Essentials (FE) facial delicate facial cleanser with Mashobra honey, lemon and rosewater and switch to cleanser with Kashmiri saffron and neem. But these are the only two cleansers I use all through the year. This doesn’t dry out the skin and has some really good skin-loving ingredients. If you don’t want to spend that much on a cleanser, I highly recommend Just Herbs cleanser which is a more affordable but equally good cleanser.
• For those weekly pamper sessions, I use Organic Surge anti-ageing brightening hot cloth cleanser. It’s a cream cleanser that moisturizes even the driest skin areas. As I don’t want the cleansing routine to be too long, I have reserved this for Sundays!
Honestly speaking, I am not a scrub person as I have really sensitive skin and my dermatologist has clearly instructed me to stay away from one! But you know how some products tempt you, right? 😛
• I simply love the Lotus Herbals Whiteglow oatmeal and yogurt scrub as it doesn’t feel too abrasive. I have been using this for almost 3 years now! Currently, I use this weekly.
• The other one I frequently use is the FE narangi ubtan. It doesn’t have those big, dreaded scrub granules, but works effectively on tanned skin. It is my go-to cleanser/scrub when my skin is looking a bit meh!
3. Face Masks
• I am addicted to the Mario Badescu enzyme revitalizing mask. If you have dry skin, you NEED this. It’s a clay-based mask which is supermoisturizing (will review it soon). It has got some great exfoliating ingredients and acts like a deep cleanse.
• Another yummy smelling FE product is the madhulika lep (honey pack). When used regularly, it tones skin and keeps it fresh. I won’t call it a must have though!
• I would call Pixi glow tonic my skincare discovery of 2015! Yes, it is that awesome. It is an exfoliating toner, a boon for people with sensitive skin who don’t like experimenting with scrubs. It keeps those chin zits in check and I love it for that!
• How can I not have rose water in my routine? I keep trying different rose waters and currently using the Kama Ayurveda one, though mists are more of a summer thing for me. I don’t follow any rule to use this, just whenever I want. If you want a more affordable version, try Oilcraft Naturals rose water. The manufacturers are the same if I am not wrong! I have used the Panchapushp and Rose water, and both are equally good.
5. Eye Creams
I have to say that I am not very regular with eye creams as I forget to use one, maybe because I don’t have visible dark circles.
• The FE anise cream is something I bought on my sister’s recommendation. I developed pigmentation below my left eye after a skin allergy gone bad. I didn’t want to use anything chemical laden on the sensitive undereye area, so I used this anise cream regularly for 2-3 months and it really worked. The consistency is lotion light and it absorbs nicely without any greasiness. I also have the FE cucumber eye gel, which does not do anything other than giving a cool sensation to tired eyes, so I will not recommend it.
• Jovees eye cream is something I use at night time. It’s thick and moisturizes your itchy, dry undereye area in seconds.
6. Facial Oil
• This TBS Vitamin E serum-in-oil is a winter staple. Apart from using it alone under the cream, I mix this with almost everything I apply on my face in winters. I can’t imagine winters without it!
7. Day-time Moisturisers
• FE light day lotion with rose and marigold is another winter staple. A few drops of TBS serum-in-oil mixed with this gives you the smoothest skin. I generally use this when I go out.
• La Roche-Posay Toleriane Ultra is what my dermatologist suggested and now I know why. I have severe pollen allergy that usually gives me skin flare-ups during the spring season. This is a no-nonsense lotion that calms everything down. Simple.
8. Night-time Moisturiser
• The night calls for some intense moisturisation and so it has to be the TBS revitalizing cream from the Oils of Life range, which is strictly meant for dry skin. It absorbs quickly and leaves the skin supple and glowy.
• If my skin is throwing tantrums, I use the La Roche Toleriane again at night with a drop or two of the TBS serum-in-oil. By morning, my skin is much calmer!
9. Makeup Remover
• If you love eye makeup just like me, you’ll know why I love Maybelline clean express remover. It’s simply THE best!
• A recent addition is the L’occitane oil makeup remover – pricey but completely worth every penny.
10. The Other Things….
• Hand cream: Neetu’s and Rati’s hand cream reviews worked their charm and now I can’t do without a hand cream! My all-time favourite is Crabtree & Evelyn pomegranate one and I have lost count of how many tubes I have gone through. The abused condition of the tube can tell you the whole story.
• Lip balms: Lip balms are as important as any other skincare product. We can never have enough! But I am currently using TBS cocoa butter and vitamin E with SPF variants.
• Johnson’s baby milk cream: This is my Holy Grail dry skin treatment! When nothing works on the dry patches, this works. Period.
• Patanjali aloe vera gel: This “Made in India” aloe gel is loved by all. And if you have to choose just one product from Patanjali, I would highly recommend this gel – a one-shot treatment for many skin issues.
• Cotton rounds: This post would be INCOMPLETE without an honourable mention of cotton rounds. If you love your skin, I would suggest, “Switch from ordinary, rough cotton to cotton rounds.” I use TBS ones; many other brands make these multipurpose rounds, and you can pick any. Use them once and you’ll surely notice the difference.
I hope you find this post helpful. And please share your skin favourites too. I would like to know what worked for you and what didn’t.
My Updated Skin Care and Hair Care Routine
My Rock Solid Winter Skin Care Routine
My Skin Care Routine for Well Moisturised, Healthy Skin
My Skincare Routine & How I Keep it Clear
Awesome Hair Care Routine For Gorgeous Curly Hair
My Hair Care Army
My Hair Care Routine For Soft and Lustrous Hair