Epilator vs. Waxing
Hi gals !!! Time for another article, this time I decided to write about the most frequently asked question – “What is better, Epilators or Waxing?” I am a very unplanned and indecisive teenager; all my plans are made at the end moment and things just spur up at the very last minute. This of course has its moments when I cannot wear my favourite outfit because it is sleeveless and I have not waxed mu skin! If I’m still very much tempted to wear it then yup, I turn to shave (which is very bad because when I was in school I used razors all the time and then I had black underarms for a while – EEW!) I’m also not a great planner to look which events are coming up, decide what I’m going to wear, and head to the salon to get waxing done. Never! Who Has Time For All This ?
So in college – I learnt how to do waxing from friends and got my own cold wax and waxing strips to do waxing at home. It did work for a while. Then I got irritated because the whole process of doing in at home was so messy. Thank God for Veet Wax Strips now. I guess now doing waxing at home must be quite easy, although I haven’t used them yet, but hmm must try it . . .
Anyways, after I became tired of waxing at home I finally got Philips epilator. It hurt a bit in the start but now I’m a pro when it comes to using epilators. I have got two epilators which I can review for you gals if you want (just leave a comment if you want me to do review on that). But then I wax once in a while. During one of my trips to salon, a female said that an epilator is not good. This epilator vs. Waxing topic has been discussed so many times with my cousins as well as friends. Some say epilators are good and some say waxing is good. Some even say Shaving is very good! God knows which one to choose? ( girls have so many decisions to make hahahahahaha :))
So let’s review what’s good and what’s not – – –
Let’s start with waxing first, Waxing is the most popular hair removal technique till date. Waxing or hair removal is not something new. A silky, smooth and hairless body was a standard of beauty, youth and innocence for women in Egypt. The wife of divine Pharaoh set an example and then the trend was followed by every woman in Egypt. They used a sticky emulsion made up of honey and oil.
Later on Greeks followed the trend. The best proof are Greek sculptures of women – so shiny and smooth. Romans also followed suit and girls began hair removal with the help of “tweezers”(It must have taken them forever to get their hair removed) 🙂 and also depilatory cream.
Waxing is an effective method of removing large amount of hair at one time. I am not describing the process because I expect everyone to know about it . 🙂
Advantages of waxing:
- It’s a very effective method of hair removal in large amount at one time.
- Waxing can make hairless skin last up to 8 WEEKS.
Disadvantages of waxing:
- Although waxing is by far the best method of hair removal, it can irritate the skin, causing redness and bumps for those with sensitive skin.
- The process of waxing can be messy and sticky.
TIPS FOR WAXING:
- Never wax just after sun-bathing or tanning because tanning always harms epidermis. So when you put hot wax on it, pulling and ripping it off can peel layers of skin. This causes visible bruises.
- After waxing wait for a few hours .. before going for a hot tub bath, swimming in public pools etc. Otherwise you might risk yourself in danger of getting skin infections. Slight damage to skin caused by waxing + improperly maintained water = breeding ground for bacteria.
- Do not wax if you have acne problem, skin allergies or sensitive skin.
After trying waxing at home, I got bored with the whole process.I am just too lazy to do all this sticky mess at home… so I got myself Philips epilator. I have two epilators now and have been using them for ages now. It was bit painful at first but now I have got used to it. 🙂 Firstly I got this one for tryouts. It is a nice chic- looking and effective epilator useful for removing hair on arms and legs.
Later on I got the hang of it, I decided to upgrade a little bit :). I got another one for myself. This one also belongs to Philips. It has this cool ice-pack which can be attached to the epilator so you don’t have CRAZY RED SKIN after you epilate your hair. This one also comes with another attachment so that you can shave the hair in case you don’t want to epilate it .
The term “epilation” refers to using an electric device, tweezers or waxing to remove the entire hair shaft at the root. Using an electric device called an epilator produces faster hair removal than tweezing and can be safer and cleaner than using hot wax and waxing strips.
Hair removal occurs when hairs are trapped in either a rotating head of small tweezers or a coiled spring or wire. With more costly epilators, varying rotation speeds and strengths are available. An electric razor attachment may be included for sensitive areas that are not ideal for tweezing.
Advantages of epilators:
- It is very easy to operate these epilators. They are non- messy which works for me !!
- Epilators are real life savers because being unplanned person; things tend to spruce up at end moment. At times like these, you can have smooth silky hands and legs in a matter of max 30 minutes. 🙂
- The cooling pack and the massaging device temporarily numb the area prior to epilation. YAYY!! 🙂
- Over time, hair becomes less coarse when it grows back.
Disadavantages of epilators:
- Using an epilator can be painful the first few times.
- Some people may experience problems with missed or ingrown hairs as well.
TIPS FOR USING EPILATORS:
- You should have a bath or shower first and then ensure your skin is completely dry before you begin epilating.
- Run the epilator in an upward motion, against the direction of hair growth. If needed you can also change the epilation direction to ensure an even smoother finish.
- Epilation novices may find that their skin is slightly reddened after epilating. This is why it is best not to epilate the day you want to spend a big night out, but the evening before. To soothe your skin and create a really sleek, smooth look and feel, apply a body cream or lotion after epilating.
- Regular use of a massage sponge (e.g. after your shower) or a body peeling will help prevent in-growing of small hairs.